Wednesday, August 11, 2010

reading for fun?

I haven't known that term for seven months now as I feverishly consume every piece of academic literature in my sight. If it weren't for the hallucinogenic rants of Allen Ginsberg, I think I might go postal. However, whilst on the Outer Banks in North Carolina, I was able to endulge in a little guilty pleasure reading thanks to my sis-in-law for providing the sustinance of course...in the form of Candance Bushnell. I read The Carrie Diaries in about 2.5 seconds, truthfully it was 2.5 days, but either way it was way too quick. I wasn't ready for it to be over. That's when you know you are really enjoying a good read, when you think about the characters when you aren't reading like they are real people, hoping that they will be alright from the aweful break-up or heavy night of partying. Then you slap yourself right in the kisser for being so lame. This book was so great. It was everything I want my pleasure reading to be. Shallow, easy, and a little slutty... basically the three adjectives you should refrain from putting in a job resume, unless of course it's for Harrison Ford. It's all about Carrie Bradshaw her Senior year of high school...before Big and Aiden, and comic book guy, and jazz guy, and all of the other men she gave her..ahem..resume to. So anyways, I highly recommend it...almost as much as I would recommend my own novel...if it were published.



Another book I'm currently reading is Chelsea Handler's Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang. I read Are you There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea, when we were on our honeymoon and it was hilar. But I must say, My Horizontal Life fell a little short of my raging expectations. But this one made up for it in a real big way. She's really stinking hilarious. Seriously.


No comments:

Post a Comment